Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Blog

I never really liked the idea of blogs for the most part, seems self indulgent, presumptuous, just dont really like them. But nugget is doing it for a good reason and i figured id post one up so we can talk more. If a friend is reading this leave some kind of notice so i can know you were here and have a conversation with you at some point. This is primarily to talk with my sister, but id be glad to hear your thoughts, unless you're Patrick, keep it to yourself Patrick.

I dont think you necessarily have to choose between military or christian, there have been plenty of christian soldiers considering that America is largely Christian and many of our founding fathers were. I think that being in the military probably makes it hard to live up to Christian ideals, but then being a civilian makes it hard too. I definitely think that the dehumanizing of your fellow man necessary to allow you to shoot them can cause problems later, either leaving a lasting devaluation of human beings or eventually returning with the guilt of those you had to kill. I have massive amounts of respect for our soldiers though. Tell your friend her brother is a friggin hero.

If you meant "do i think i have to choose between militaryish and christianish" then yeah to some degree. American culture in general pushes a view of a man as dominant over others and at least capable of physical domination, but Christianity promotes Christ like behaviour. I think that as in most things i want to be somewhere in the middle. I dont want to be a push over but have no desire to hurt people. That's part of why i want to work in Corrections really. I think i'd be a good guard because while i wouldnt fold to intimidation by the inmates i wouldnt treat them unreasonably. The justice system has already determined their guilt and sentence, I'm just responsible for ensuring that they serve it and protecting them from each other. It's sort of the end stage of Justice.

Telos (what you believe) and Praxis (how you incorporate what you believe into your life) are quite fascinating then, and the massive gap between them.

Well regardless of what you believe about Christ war is hell. What you believe if i were to guess, is that humans are sinful by nature but have some divine spark that gives hope for a better future, what is actually true is probably about the same except that a lot of people snuff out that spark, on account of how things are generally "cooler" in the dark. It's like The Flanders VS The Simpsons (how philosophical of me) The Flanders are better fitting the Christian standard, but who would want to hang out with them?

Your faith may not be Stretch Armstrong faith, since hes toxic, and probably not Gumbi because he was just lame, but im pretty sure it isnt Stretchy Hand either since those things always get real dirty real fast. I hate those things.

I've been vaguely thinking about the Army. When i heard you had death threats I thought about how people joined the Army in droves right after 9/11 to either "go get some" or aid their country in a dangerous time, and thought i might consider doing the same were that to happen. Which is kind of messed up really. That it would take a direct personal loss (you) for me to really consider joining the Army. I guess to some degree everybody weighs the lives of those close to them over the lives of those not, but it's still kind of messed up...particularly from a religious, any religious really, viewpoint. I've really always considered it, you know how i always wanted to work in Law Enforcement in some fashion or another, the Army was one aspect i considered and still do really. I think I'd prefer Corrections though, at least then i know im just dealing with bad guys. I dont think i could have pressed that button in the Enola Gay.

1 comment:

  1. I just noticed this, three months later...

    Pretty interesting. Very good points about finding a reasonable, rational balancing point between being a push over and using violence against others.

    Like what you said about your motivation behind working in Corrections, too.

    I think you nailed a very important point about how military training can (and I think, by design, does) result in dehumanizing whoever the enemy happens to be at any point in time.

    I guess it's too easy/simplistic to just say that there is no moral problem with using violence in self-defence, but using violence aggressively for personal gain is wrong. That ignores the gray areas that, at the very least, add some ambiguity to the fundamental question of what is the right thing to do in a specific set of circumstances. Things like preemptive strikes to prevent an apparently imminent catastrophe, for example.

    But look where that thinking got us in Iraq with some well-placed misinformation.

    I don't think I could have pushed that button either. I understand the war-death math of why it was pushed, but I still think it was a terrible thing to do. Yet more proof that war is hell.

    ReplyDelete